Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving...



I told you that I went to a concert on National Adoption Day. Well I heard something there that really enlightened me. Bebo Norman was talking about how he had gone to Africa to the country, Tanzania. He went out into the country to visit a family whose child had been sponsored. He, a translator, and this Tanzanian man sat in front of his dung hut. Bebo looked at the man and asked, "If you could have anything, what would you wish for?" The man stopped and reflected upon the question just asked of him. He pointed over to a tree and said, "You see that mango tree over there? My family eats from it. There is water a few meters from here to drink from. We all live in our home, together. What is there left to wish for?"

Humbling isn't it? This man by our standards has nothing. But to his standards he has everything. In honor of this Tanzanian man, I will try to write what I am thankful for in no particular order.

God. My husband. My kids. My kids I have yet to meet. My home. My cars. My job. My sponsored child, Francys. My husband's job. Jesus. 3-5-03. Medical care. Medical insurance. My 4 parents. My grandparents. My aunt overcoming cancer. Northwoods. Heat. Adoption. Safe water. Electricity. Food. Chocolate. My niece and nephew. The nannies around the world caring for orphans. Subiksha. Telephone's. The fact that you can use a telephone to call someone on earth, but to contact heaven all you have to do is bow your head. Simplicity. Peach roses. The smell of vanilla. Bubble baths. Freedom of religion. Health. Shawnee. Amaya. An innocent smile. Friends. The way God mysteriously works. Africa. And especially to Jesus Christ for opening my eyes up to the orphans of the world. Which in turn filled my heart with joy.

No comments: