Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bono & Africa...

"We have the cash, we have the drugs, we have the science - but do we have the will to make poverty history?" - Bono

Is Bono truly the hope for Africa? That is a question I've been asking myself while reading a book called, "Walk On.....The spiritual journey of U2". And I think he is. He is one. And because he is only one. He cannot do everything. But because he is one, he will not refuse to do the one thing he can do. (Remember my quote I used to have written on the side bar?) Being a rock star he has brought much knowledge to the past, present, and future suffering to the African continent. And I must say, he is very spiritual. He walks hand in hand with God. He had some good quotes in this book about Ethiopia that I will share with you:

He talks frequently in speeches and interviews about a pivotal moment in his life during post-Live Aid time in Ethiopia. On his and Ali's last day there, a man offered him his son and asked if he would take him home and give him a better life. Of course, he didn't, but maybe in another way he did. That child has traveled in Bono's mind and heart and soul ever since, and once he involved himself in Jubilee 2000, there was no way he could stop. Speaking at the British Labor Party Conference in 2004, he told the party government: "Africa is a magical place. And anybody who ever gave anything there got a lot more back. A shining, shining continent with beautiful royal faces...Ethiopia not just blew my mind, it opened my mind."

No comments: