Monday, May 10, 2010

Dear Enate....

Dear Enate,

Yesterday I took our daughter to the Africa exhibit at the zoo.  It was Mother's Day here in the United States, but as we walked among the lions and rhinos and giraffes, I had one thing on my mind and that was you.  I wish I knew who you are.  I wish I knew your name.  Are you eating today?  Are you happy today?  Do you smile a lot?  Our daughter does.  She even has a dimple on her right cheek!  Do you have a dimple too?  Does she get that from you?  Oh I wish I could talk to you.  I wish we could sit and have coffee and I could tell you all the things our daughter does.  She can crawl now!  She is still stuck in reverse but everyday she gets a little bit better at it.  She has two teeth.  Both on the bottom.  She is a happy teether though, no tears.  She loves the water, whether it be in the bath or the hot tub.  She splashes and kicks and smiles.  Oh her smile...it will melt your heart.  Did I mention she has the cutest dimple?

At night when I lotion her up, I spend a lot of time staring at her belly button.  It ties her to you.  Somehow I am very intrigued by it.  I know the anatomy of it, but I wish I knew more about you.  Did you give birth to her in your hut?  On the road, in a hospital?  How did you tie off her umbilibcal cord?  Did you smile when you saw her?  Did she cry when she was born?  That newborn cry that is so strained it is barely noticeable?  Who was with you?  Did you give her her first bath?  What time of the day was it?  In the dawn or dusk?  Did you pray for her?  I pray for you.  Everyday.  Did I mention I wish we could sit and talk together...

I miss you and I have never met you.  I pray you are well and God will give you peace in your decision and know we all love you....Happy Mother's Day Enate......You are always and forever loved.....

1 comment:

Jaime & Kelly said...

So beautiful! I so wish she and so many other mothers that gave us their children could really know how much they mean to us. Oh and the belly button thing is so true!