Friday, July 9, 2010

Haunted...

(Taken the week after I left by Stephanie Walker)

I am haunted by a little girl.  Her face draws my attention when I walk into a room.  Her face fills my dreams.  It was one month ago today that I walked into an orphanage and met her.  A little girl named Lucinda.  She had blonde highlights, or so I thought....When I asked it was actually malnutrition had caused the pigmentation to leave her hair.  She is a beauty, but oh so somber.  She never smiled.  Not once did I catch a glimpse of one.  And as I look through other team members pictures who went in different weeks, I still see that same somber face.  It haunts me.  To say I was in love was an understatement.  But there were so many that I loved for many different reasons.  But I would find myself scanning the courtyard, looking for the girl with blonde highlights.  She was a magnet and I was drawn to her.  Trying to forget her is no easy task.  Somehow she is always there, always in my mind, always with a somber face.  Oh how I would yearn to see her smile.  I bet its beautiful.  My heart yearns for that.  Lucinda, Je t'aime....
Lucinda and I.
Just about to leave for the night, after the girls braided my hair!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

My heart aches as I read this. I don't know what to say.

Jaime & Kelly said...

Gretchen, This little girl needs your prayers. You a relentless woman and God knows that! You prayed for Y when she needed it the most. You pray with all your heart and soul. This sweet baby needs a pray warrior and God knew who to match her with!!!