Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Throwing starfish...

What does Delivering Hope mean to me? Lots!  Over a year ago it was just an idea my friend had.  But I thought it was a great one, so I asked her permission to put Delivering Hope into action over here!  We collected donations for the orphanage, for when we would travel to bring home Yohanna.  We wore bracelets.  We had home-made signs.  Once we had all we could take to travel, but we were filled to overflowing, I knew this was a God thing. 
Fast forward several months and let me tell you all I have seen...


I have seen children sleeping on streetbanks, covered with nothing but a white sheet.
I have seen women wearing two different pairs of left footed shoes.
I have seen children so poor, their families can't afford to dress them fully.
I have seen disfigured men begging on the street, hoping for something to eat.
I have held a baby who months prior was literally starving to death.  That baby became my daughter.
I have held the hands of many children who don't have a family member to call their own, so they cling to you so hard that their fingers leave imprints on your skin.
I have seen hundreds of families who have lost everyone and everything they have ever loved, in the matter of a few minutes.
I have seen both men and pigs go through the same trash dump, at the same time, searching desperately for food.

All these things I have seen, and so much more.

Poverty at its finest.  Did God show me these things, to come home and forget.  Nothing has changed for any of these people.  Except Yohanna.  She is no longer starving to death, but the starvation is so enamored in her mind that at the first chance of missing a meal, she will thrash around and scream.

What does Delivering Hope mean to me?  Lots!  I refuse to see these things and not act.  I refuse to be the man on the beach calling out the boy, because the boy was throwing the starfish back in. 

Can I solve homelessness?  No, but I can for some.
Can I solve the food crisis?  No, but I can for some.
Can I solve poverty?  No, but I can for some.

Poverty brings forth malnutrition, lack of clean water, illiteracy, orphans, sickness, disease, poor medical care and so many others. And I for one am up for the challenge.  We can't solve it for everyone, but we can for someone.  Making their life better.  Who's with me?  Who wants to help this little boy throw some starfish back in the sea? 


What does Delivering Hope mean to me? 
Making a difference. 
Spreading hope to the world, one delivery at a time....

Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and injustice in the world, when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid He might ask me the same thing. ~Anonymous

No comments: