Sunday, January 25, 2009

An Anniversary....

Today has been one year since we began this adoption process. It has been such a harder road than I thought it ever would be. When we began we were told that a minority adoption takes at the longest 6 months. And here we are 1 year in and no baby in sight. We have had some major disappointments in this process. We were turned down by prospective birth moms 10 times. That is very hard. To hope and believe and wait for the phone to ring. You imagine in your mind what the SW will say when she calls you. Will she say, "CONGRATULATIONS!" Will she say, "I have some very good news for you!" But I don't know what she would've said. To us she only said, "I'm very sorry but they chose another family." We knew that road was too hard for us. Which led us to Waiting International Children.

We began to look through scores of children already needing a home. We would get very excited but would always have a door shut because another family who was "paper ready" chose that child. That was until we came across a beautiful Indian baby. But it wasn't her we were interested in, but the older girl beside her. She was 2 1/2 with a smile that would melt your heart. When I called the agency they said that the baby was already "matched" with a family. They were shocked when I said it was the older girl I was interested in. We discussed her with a Doctor and proceeded to adopt her, until things out of everyone's control fell apart. We lost her. Leading us to more grief than ever imaginable. We threw everything away and shut the door on our adoption. Which led us here.

1 year in and no baby. But finally on the right road to our daughter. Esther wasn't in the USA. She wasn't in India. She was in Ethiopia. And we are finally at peace. So although I'm very anxious to see her face and hold her, I know there was a purpose to follow the wrong paths. Because now it is 2009. And it is the year that I will see and hold my beautiful little, "Esther Isabel".

1 comment:

Jaime & Kelly said...

"He has made everything beautiful in its time" (Ecc 3:11).